Digits & Threads is the online magazine for Canadian fibre and textile arts, crafts and industry – it is made in Canada and exclusively features Canadian contributors. We are keen to publish works from members of equity-seeking communities that have historically been marginalized, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit; people of colour; disabled, neurodiverse, and LGBTIQ2S folks. We are excited to work with previously unpublished writers and designers as well as those who have professional experience.
To receive our calls for submissions, please join our contributor newsletter, below.
We publish on a rolling schedule and are open to receiving pitches at any time. We respond to all pitches, and it’s normal for us to take a few weeks to do so.
Please familiarize yourself with our publication before pitching, to ensure that we are the right fit for your idea.
Most of our features are available to our paying members, with an excerpt available to non-members. If your pitch is accepted for publication, we will provide you with a PDF tearsheet upon publication, as well as with a complimentary 30-day Armchair Membership so you can experience your work as our members do, and enjoy the rest of the magazine, as well.
We seek original and never-before-published:
- articles, including journalistic coverage, profiles, and narrative non-fiction focused on works, topics, and people in Canada;
- personal essays related to our editorial mandate;
- tutorials related to any fibre or textile art or craft including but not limited to crochet, weaving, handspinning, quilting, sewing, knitting, macrame, beadwork;
- patterns for projects in any fibre or textile craft;
- rich media pieces including photo galleries or tours, video, or audio.
- For articles, please ensure your emailed pitch includes a brief and clear paragraph summarizing the focus and angle of your idea, including, if relevant, individuals or organizations you will seek to interview.
- For tutorials, please include a brief and clear paragraph summarizing the technique and how you will explain and show how to do it (e.g., high-quality photos accompanying text).
- For patterns, please include a brief and clear description of the project, including techniques involved, a sketch of the project, and, if relevant, sizing information and a photograph of a swatch. Completed projects are not required at the pitch stage. We are happy to consider description + sketch (+ swatch).
For written and audio pieces, and photo galleries, we pay $150-$300; for patterns we pay $200-$500. All payments are made in Canadian dollars within 30 days of publication, via e-transfer or PayPal.
Garment and accessories patterns must accommodate a wide range of sizes and we are particularly interested in patterns that include brief tips or instructions to enable makers to adjust the pattern to fit their measurements or needs.
Please email pitches to email@example.com.