Hamilton, Ontario, artist Hitoko Okada is a growing cotton and indigo in her backyard. She cultivates the indigo plants to create dyes using traditional Japanese methods for use in her weaving and fibre art practice. On September 25th she is leading a workshop on indigo dyeing at Planting Seeds of Hope’s Childrens Lands in Caledonia, Ontario.
In May and June the Alberta Craft Discovery Gallery in Edmonton hosted an exhibition of works from artist Heather Shillinglaw. She creates textile works inspired by aerial photographs of landscapes significant to her family history, using beading, quilting and embroidery techniques. Her goal is to incorporate the work of historians, scholars, and elders in her artwork, to drive cultural sharing, and aid in her rediscovery of her own roots to the land. Although the exhibition was brief, an online gallery is still available for viewing.
We are (predictably) very excited about the Great Canadian Wool-A-Long. Started by Catherine Knutsson of Small Bird Workshop, the event is designed to celebrate Canadian wool and fibre in all of its forms. Crafters of all varieties are invited to participate, and the only requirement is that you use wool that has been grown by sheep (or other fibre animal or plant) in Canada and post a photo of your finished item. Running August 1st to October 31st, we hope this event becomes an annual celebration.
The website is a fantastic resource, there are listings of Canadian yarn and fibre providers, tool and notion sellers, and pattern designers. Many of them are offering discounts. (Full disclosure, our own Kate Atherley is on the designer’s list, and is offering a discount on her online patterns.)
There are also prizes for participants! If you are a provider and wish to get on the list, offer a discount or contribute a prize, use the email address listed on the linked page.
Every week there are Zoom gatherings and workshops, and Digits & Threads will be presenting—details TBA.
Upcoming Events in Canada
- Twist Fibre Festival, August 11-14, Saint-André-Avellin, Québec.
- Fibrations Festival, August 21, Victoria, BC. Digits & Threads will be there; come and say hello!
- Fibre Arts at the Grist Mill, August 27, Keremeos, BC.
- Altamonte Mississippi Valley Fibre Festival, September 10 & 11, Altamonte, Ontario.
- Kitchener Waterloo Knitters’ Fair, September 10, Kitchener, Ontario. Digits & Threads will be there; come and say hello!
- Knit City Vancouver, September 23-25, Vancouver, BC. Digits & Threads will be there; come and say hello!
- Edmonton Fibre Frolic, November 12-13, Edmonton, AB. Digits & Threads will be there; come and say hello!